Sunday, 3 May 2009

My First Quilt

Made for my brand new granddaughter Molly, I'm so pleased with the way this quilt has turned out. I know it's not perfect but it's so much better than I thought I'd be able to manage for my first one.

One of the main things I've learned is how essential accuracy is for the piecing. I was happy with the cutting out of my pieces but things kept going awry when it came to piecing them together on my machine. I'm not an experienced sewer so I'm hoping that this will improve with practice. I've also now bought a 1/4 inch foot so we'll see if that makes a difference next time.

When it came to quilting I finally opted for straight lines using a walking foot. This was after several practice runs at freestyle 'meandering' quilting (again more practice required!). I toyed with the idea of 'in the ditch' but decided it might be more interesting to do a diamond pattern.

Finally, I completely chickened out of making and attaching a separate binding and went for the self binding method - folding over the backing fabric.


Post a Comment


Nanmade in England Copyright © 2008 Green Scrapbook Diary Designed by SimplyWP | Made free by Scrapbooking Software | Bloggerized by Ipiet Notez